No provincial plan to tackle rats, and their massive economic and environmental impact. Brutal.
Everyone from homeowners to policymakers know that the industry standard isn’t cutting it. A provincial plan is exactly what we need, even if it is simple. We have no alternatives to poison because we have a limited understanding of the rat problem, and we have a limited understanding due to the very nature of the delayed-action rodenticides we so heavily depend on.
Full article: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_82610d82-30b8-11e8-a0af-6396e80a6c43.html
Owls Dying From Poison – Local Article
Owls are dying of suspected poisoning at an alarming rate, according to the provincial Ministry of Agriculture.
Ministry spokesperson Dave Townsend said five owls were submitted to B.C.’s Animal Health Centre from October 2017 to January 2018 that had traces of anticoagulant rodenticides in the liver.
“Super-toxic” rat poisons kill owls, other wildlife
Here’s a good article detailing some of the consequences associated with our reliance on pesticides.
Don’t use poison!
Here’s a good read about a woman’s experience with poisoning rats in her home, don’t do this! Unfortunately, it can take days for a rat to die after ingesting rodenticide; with the amount of poison stations maintained throughout Vancouver and the lower mainland, this could easily happen to you regardless of your pest management methods.
“These days, rodenticides based on Difenacoum are licensed in Britain for amateur use indoors and outdoors. Any creature feeding on the carcass of a rat poisoned with Difenacoum or any other coumarin-based anticoagulant will die, and so on through the food chain. Simply laying such a toxic bait indoors will not prevent its escape into the wild, because of rats, like people, live both inside and out. As Difenacoum is easily available online, there is no way that its use can be monitored.”
“Now that I have made public the fact that I have rats, I may be prosecuted. It is an offense for any landowner knowingly to let rats live on their property.”
Boom! Germaine with the touchdown. I’m a big fan of rats… I have been toying with the idea of training one to search and point to rat holes on structures. That would sell.
If your dog ate mouse or rat poison, learn the symptoms and treatment of rat or mouse poisoning in a dog at Pet Poison Helpline. Call 800-213-6680.
Source: Dog Ate Mouse Poison, Rat Poisoning in Dogs, Mouse and Rat Poisons Toxic to Pets